WINNER: Loris von Siebenthal. A D35 catamaran battles an incoming storm during the Bol d’Or Mirabuad on Lake Geneva in June.–
2nd: Sharon Green. A Volvo 70 Wizard is captured about 25 miles off Miami during the 811-nautical mile Pineapple Cup race from Miami to Jamaica.
3rd: Ian Roman. Team USA’s SailGP boat slowly capsizes after bearing away around the first mark during an event in Cowes, UK.
4. Martina Orsini. Spray creates the shape and sense of a shield protecting a young sailor on a O’pen Bic boat.
5. Sam Kurtul. The Australian SailGP team breaks the 50-knot barrier on their F50 catamaran in testing conditions on the Solent during an event in Cowes, UK.
6. Bo Wang. The Pata Negra yacht is snapped by the Chinese photographer under the midday sun on the Solent off southern England during training for the famous Fastnet Race.
7. Robert Hajduk. Athlete Blazej Ozog flies high on his foiling kiteboard off Tawila Island, Egypt.
8. Eike Schurr. British yacht Alegre blasts downwind during the Cascais 52 Super Series Sailing Week in Portugal, taken from a drone.
9. Graham Snook. Alex Thomson’s Hugo Boss boat flies on her foils during testing in strong winds off Portsmouth, UK.
10. Matias Capizzano. Tommy Sitzmann takes to the air in his Optimist at the St Thomas International Optimist Regatta.
11. Joran Bubke. Peter Ogden’s Maxi 77 Jethou is shot from the cockpit of a helicopter during the Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez regatta in the south of France.
12. Marta Rovatti Studihrad. Boats round a mark late on a November afternoon during the Italia Cup Laser at Ortona.
13. James Tomlinson. A black and white study of the yacht Sled dropping its spinnaker during the TP52 World Championships at Puerto Portals, Spain.
14. Maxime Horlaville. A slow shutter speed drone shot of Charlie Dalin sailing the yacht Apivia on the Bay of Biscay off western France.
15. Eloi Stichelbaut. Helicopter shot of Sebastien Simon and his co-skipper Vincent Riou training on their ArkeaPaprec yacht near Groix, an island off the west coast of France.
16. Pierick Jeannoutot. A pair of J70 yachts align in perfect symmetry near the finish of a race in Marseilles, France.
17. Fabio Taccola. The giant mainsails of Supernikka and Pendragon cast shadows during the 151 Miglia race from Livorno, Italy to Punta Ala, Italy via the Giraglia rock off Corsica.
18. Michael Chittenden. The wet and wild feeling of sailing a 16ft skiff on a breezy day in Sydney Harbor.
19. Craig Greenhill. The spectator fleet chasing the lead superyachts including Commanche and Wild Oats XI out of Sydney Heads after the Boxing Day start of the famous Sydney-Hobart race.
20. Thomas Campion. A bowman trims the billowing sails of Marga during the Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez race in France.